Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Jennie George demands a fair go for Disability Support Pensioners

My local member, Jennie George is fighting the Howard Government's proposed DSP changes. This is her conclusion. I urge you to read the whole speech.

2005 Budget reply: "If we genuinely want to help people with disabilities who have a capacity to work-and I think most people of goodwill really want to see that outcome-we need to understand that this will require a big investment in rehabilitation and employment assistance and major changes in the nature of our workplaces. There are no cheap or easy options. In the meantime, I firmly believe that people with disabilities deserve adequate and secure income support through the social security system, not cuts to their entitlements. It is in this context that I believe the government's proposals in the budget for DSP recipients fail the test of adequate support and assistance in their move from welfare to work."

No comments: