Sunday, May 22, 2005

Shame on Peter Dutton

Insiders - 15/05/2005: Welfare-to-work: carrot or stick?
Look very carefully at this quote from Peter Dutton. Notice how he completely avoids the question about how new applicants WILL be worse off than those currently on DSP. This is an open admission that the Government's policy will harm the most disadvantaged.

"BARRY CASSIDY: But new entrants though, will new entrants end up worse off than those currently on these benefits?

PETER DUTTON: Well, it's important to make the point, Barry, that those people who are on a DSP at the moment stay there. These are, in the large, vulnerable people. And you've got the Labor Party running around trying to scare people who are disabled and it's a shocking campaign. So the point that I make is that those people who are on a DSP stay there. New entrants from the 1 July 2006 who are assessed as having a work capacity of 15 hours or more per week will be helped through an enhanced New Start allowance."
My Comment
Dutton appears to believe that new DSP applicants are not vulnerable.

Peter Dutton says on his website:

"I want to hear what their problems or concerns are, and help in finding solutions. I hope I can use my real-life experiences to find solutions to some of these problems."

I urge you to tell him your problem and insist he find a solution.

No comments: